Thursday 14 October 2010

binding tips

Ask Jinny: How Do You Bind Your Quilts?


Recently, I received a question from a quilter about binding her quilt. We all love to finally be at the stage where a project is ready to be bound. But it's not a step to rush -- although others may not notice a well-made binding, a poorly made one can definitely hurt the look of your quilt!

The quilter asked me, "How do you finish the edges of your quilts? I can never seem to get my binding on straight!"

First things first: I do a traditional double-fold binding, cut 2" wide, usually from a fabric that coordinates with the edge of the quilt. I also cut my binding strips on the bias for two reasons: first, I think a bias strip creates a smoother edge; and second, it creates a stronger fabric edge.

Because I frame many of my quilts with border prints, I also sew my binding on differently than most quilters. It's very important to me that the binding "respects" the design elements on the border print, not overlapping them willy-nilly. So, I sew the binding on to the back of the quilt first, turn it to the front and then hand-stitch in place with tiny stitches, adjusting the binding edge so it doesn't overlap any of the design elements.
(You can see in the photo that the binding has been brought to the front and runs straight along the printed stripe in the border print.)

Jinny has prepared a free tips sheet on binding, click here for the tip sheet.

One of the things that often troubles quilters iscutting the tails of the binding the correct length so there are no lumps or bumps where the two ends join. When I was a Quilt Market in the spring, I discovered this wonderful little tool that really makes it simple. To make it even better, a quilting store created a video that steps you through the entire process. The Binding Tool (what else would you call it?!) is available at our shop and online at this link , where you'll also find a link to the video.

Last, but not least, most quilters have become familiar with the process of creating a mitered binding for the corners of their square or rectangular quilts. Well, how do you handle the odd angles you might find on table runners, decorative projects or art quilts? Marci Baker of Alicia's Attic put together a wonderful video. It's free and accessible at this link .

thanks to Pat for sending this info along to Kathy, who sent it to me to post here for our reader's info!

No comments:

Post a Comment